"...from little things, big things grow!"
The Townsville Academy of Performing Arts (TAPA) is a fully air-conditioned complex that endeavours to provide a safe, educational and recreational environment for all ages. In a friendly encouraging atmosphere, with well supervised classes taught by highly qualified teachers, students will find the balance between technique and enjoyment in all forms of dance movement and singing.
Originally known as the Johnny Young Talent School with fifty students participating only in recreational song and dance classes, Katrina joined the school in 1992 as the only teaching member, where she introduced ballet, tap, modern dance and eventually drama. When an opportunity to purchase the school presented itself in 1999, Katrina and her husband Andrew took it up, renaming the school to give it its own identity and the Townsville Academy of Performing Arts (TAPA) was born. Beginning with 3 teachers and approximately 100 students, an accredited syllabus was introduced and the students began participating in examinations and competitions
In 2001 the Academy’s new home was finally completed with four fully air-conditioned compliant studios, which now allowed the Academy to experience growth…and grow it did. In 2010, having almost reached capacity again, TAPA expanded further adding a Singing Room and a fifth studio and in 2017, a sixth air-conditioned studio was added, which was particularly suited to the instruction of Acrobatic Dance.
With its cohort of highly qualified teachers and their many years’ experience, the Townsville Academy of Performing Arts is North Queensland’s largest performing arts studio, providing expert, high quality tuition in many genres of dance, keeping classes fresh, inspiring, creative and aligned with current dance trends.
From the beginning of one year, to the end of the next, there is an energy and magic in the Academy and Katrina, Andrew and the TAPA staff would like to extend a warm welcome to you, to come and share this experience!
- An air-conditioned, state-of-the-art, modern-designed facility.
- A professional surround sound system in all studios.
- A highly-trained professional faculty with a multitude of dance and teaching experience.
- A professionally installed sprung floor system that protects dancers’ joints
- A great location with ample parking and FREE WI-FI!
- A centralised syllabus for all classes ensuring consistency in learning
- A professionally run Dance Concert held annually in December, featuring all of our dancers
- We’re GREEN! Most correspondence will be electronic to help save the environment
- Opportunity to compete at Eisteddfods and other dance competitions
- Opportunity to participate in local, national and international masterclass workshops and performances
- Further performance opportunities with our competitive Elite Company and pre-professional guidance for serious dancers
- Volunteer and community service opportunities for pre-teens and teens
- We aim to benefit our community and give back through charity
It is the mission of the Academy to provide the student with healthier coordination abilities, self-discipline, self-confidence and flexibility, while giving encouragement and direction to each child to discover their strengths and excel to reach their own personal potential.
- We place the highest value on respect for fellow students and teachers.
- We endeavour to increase performance opportunities to develop the student’s performance confidence, their artistic and creative abilities which will then reflect in all aspects of life.
- We strive to cultivate in every student a love for the art of dance and pride in their achievements, on both recreational and competitive/vocational levels.
- We promote a safe, caring, creative learning experience for all students; seeking the balance between technique and enjoyment in all forms of dance movement and singing.
“Do What You Love…Love What You Do!”
Examinations, Competitions & Concerts
Each year, students are invited to take part in annual ATOD and RAD Ballet examinations, ATOD Modern & Tap examinations and NDAA Highland Exams. Examination results are a true reflection of the time, commitment and dedication of students and parents, as well as the preparation the studio offers in the exam process. Examinations are a wonderful opportunity for students in years 11 and 12 to obtain QCE (Qld Certificate of Education) credit points and additionally gain the necessary accreditation that can progress towards more formal qualifications, including the Certificate IV in Dance Teaching and Management and the RAD Certificate in Ballet Teaching Studies.
TAPA students are actively involved in the local community with student participation in festivals, providing entertainment at sporting and charity events, as well as showcasing their talents in eisteddfods and competitions.
Our annual Concert is held in early December, providing all students with the opportunity to perform. Our shows employ the skills of professional lighting and sound technicians, rigging and stage crew, enabling students to experience a performance environment of a professional standard.
Workshops & Tours
TAPA provides workshop and performance opportunities for students, locally, nationally and internationally and is committed to bringing the professional dance industry to our students.
TAPA is continually developing new & strengthening existing relationships by networking with dance centres both in Australia and internationally. The following are just a few of the recent experiences our students have participated in:
- competing at the Australian & Victorian Dance Festivals;
- competing at the Montenegro Dance Festival, winning the Grand Prix Prize for World Dance;
- taken masterclasses in Los Angeles with The Edge, Millennium Dance Complex & Disneyland Workshops;
- taken masterclasses in New York with Alvin Ailey, Broadway Dance Centre, Steps on Broadway & Martha Graham Studio;
- performed in the Disney Parade at Disneyland Anaheim;
- Highland Dance students have performed in Military Tattoos in Edinburgh, Basel & Virginia; and
- Highland Dance students have participated in competitions & workshops in Scotland.
TAPA provides a world stage to students and opportunities for them to work with the world’s leading dance professionals in their preferred genre.